Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Villa agree fee of £ 7.8m Cuellar


Aston Villa have agreed a fee of £ 7.8million SPL giants Rangers with the Spanish central defender Carlos Cuellar. The 26-year-old now discuss terms with Villa, whose bid has invoked a clause in the contract liberation de Cuellar. Rangers on Monday night confirmed that it had accepted an offer of 10 million euros for the player (£ 7.8million).



Cuellar was pending and then joining the Rangers of Scotland club Osasuna last season. He was instrumental in their run to the finals of the Uefa Cup, but leaves Ibrox just a week after a humiliating early exit from the Champions League in the qualifying stages.Rangers revealed they offer to the player a contract substantially improved, but was rejected because of their desire to move to the Premier League.



Cuellar told the Rangers website: "My ambition has always been to play for my national team and I think playing in the league world's largest for Aston Villa helps me realize that. "When I told Martin Bain on Sunday that he wanted to leave, I did it with sadness. The Rangers supporters have been fantastic for me, but I am young and want to play at the highest level and I hope that I am always welcome back. I want to thank you for everything."



Rangers manager Walter Smith has expressed disappointment at the decision de Cuellar to leave. He said: "This has come as a surprise and I am disappointed. Carlos Cuellar has been a great player for the football club and inevitably there has been speculation about him playing in the Premiership.



"The club has received a substantial increase in the monthly fee and now we are going to reinvest in the team."



Cuellar is set to become Villa's sixth summer signing following Curtis Davies, Steve Sidwell, Luke Young, Nicky Shorey and Brad Friedel.

No comments:

Villa agree fee of £ 7.8m Cuellar ~ Blog Football News