Saturday, May 3, 2008

Schmeichel tips for Man Utd


Former Manchester United keeper Peter Schmeichel is tipping his former club to pip Chelsea to the Premier League title - but only on goal difference. Schmeichel won the title five times at Old Trafford and was part of the 1999 treble-winning side. United lead Chelsea on goal difference with two games left this season.



Schmeichel told BBC Sport: "I think the two teams will match each other's results, and not necessarily with each of them winning their last two games."



United and Chelsea also face each other in the Champions League final in Moscow on 21 May as well as battling it out for the Barclays Premier League. Sir Alex Ferguson's side face West Ham at Old Trafford on Saturday lunchtime while Chelsea travel to Newcastle on Monday.



And Schmeichel added: "I'm not surprised it is such a tight finish. In fact I fully expected it to be tighter because I expected Arsenal to still be involved - I suppose theoretically they still are but realistically it is between Chelsea and United.



"There are still tough games to be played. I remember only too well how West Ham denied us the league at Upton Park in 1995, and Chelsea travel to a Newcastle team who have come into some form now."



Schmeichel admits he was surprised by Ferguson's team selection in the defeat at Chelsea last Saturday, but believes it was a sign of the Scot's gambler's streak.



He said: "I went ballistic when I saw the team and that's talking as a fan. I wanted United to finish the league there and then and I wanted United to end Chelsea's phenomenal home record - but when I saw the team I knew it could be a long day.



"But Sir Alex is a clever man. He is a gambler, but not in a bad sense. He will have calculated scenarios. So he will have played a team that he knows runs the risk of being beaten by Chelsea, but he is prepared to run that risk.



Chelsea know they have to win two league games. That's all they can do because whatever Manchester United do is out of their control (source:bbc)




No comments:

Schmeichel tips for Man Utd ~ Blog Football News