Monday, May 12, 2008

I'm so sorry


Marco Materazzi admits he should have left the penalty to Julio Cruz, but was swayed by memories of last season’s Scudetto celebrations. The defender insisted on taking the spot-kick in the 2-2 draw with Siena that was saved by Alex Manninger, “Unfortunately it went badly,” said Matrix after the result sliced Inter’s lead to just one point from Roma.









Roberto Mancini confirmed Cruz was the designated spot-kick taker, but Materazzi took control, remembering he had bagged a brace against Siena to seal the title last year. “I think last season the order of penalty-takers was the same, but at the time and today I felt like taking it. Unfortunately I made a mistake.



“Perhaps with hindsight I should have left it to Cruz. I apologised to him afterwards.”



Cruz was furious at the decision and had to be held back by teammates so that Materazzi could take the kick.



Not only was Mancini angry with him, but in the stands President Massimo Moratti was clearly caught on camera saying: ‘Materazzi lost us the game.’ “I heard about that, but in all honesty I think at that moment every single Inter fan hurled some kind of abuse at me,” said the Italian international.



“This is part of the sport and the sense of disappointment it can give you, so I can’t complain.”



The Scudetto celebrations have been in place for several weeks now, but it’ll all go down to the wire when Inter travel to Parma and Roma visit Catania. “There is disappointment for a game we could have won, but we must look forward now and wait for next Sunday. It’ll be a Cup Final against Parma.”(source:channel4)

No comments:

I'm so sorry ~ Blog Football News